Wednesday, 18 January 2017


Hello and welcome to my second project this month which utilises a few scrap pieces!

It all started when I squeezed out rather too much Nougat Fresco Paint and was looking around for something to paint to use it up when I spied a couple of experimental pieces lying in the scraps box. I would imagine I have used a combination of Seedless Preserves and Picked Raspberry Distress Ink for these inky layers with a stencil but way too bright for me! 

But look at the lovely hues when they are covered with Nougat Fresco Paint - fabulous and much more me!

I added a couple of strips of tissue tape and some very light stamping with Hickory Smoke Distress Ink.

Then a little contrast stamping with Black Archival ink. 

I decided not to introduce any further colours so hunted through the scraps box again and found this stamped butterfly .....

.... and a die cut from one of Tim's handwritten words (always so handy for this kind of card!). Everything then got a bit of a splattering with some watered down gesso.

I then stuck everything on to a 6" x 3" card blank cut from some cream cardstock and edged with gold pen. 

I shall certainly be looking through my scraps box for more brightly coloured experimental pieces as the coating of paint really makes for a lovely muted background.

Thank you for joining me today and have a great week!

Jennie x

Live The Dream

Monday, 16 January 2017

Block Heart

Hi it's Brenda here from Bumblebees and Butterflies. I thought I would design something a little different as a valentine card/gift to give to my hubbie this year and there's still plenty of time for you to make one too if you want to have a go.

Take a small block of wood, sand the edges smooth so there are no jagged edges to give you splinters  and .........

...... give it three coats of rustic chalky finish paint.

Next take a palette knife and lightly scrape over some lace chalky finish paint.

Mix a pink to fit in with the vintage timeworn look. I used all chalky paints, innocence, lace, rustic and everlasting. 

Again scrape some over the sides and top of the block.

Next give a watery wash of lace all over to unify the colours.

With any left over pink colours I scraped them over a piece of card and left to dry then stamped the hearts and tickets onto it.

On the back panel I stamped my sentiment and some words from Tim's stamp set (see below)

On the front I stamped the words several times to completely cover the surface - but to achieve the random look after I have dabbed the archival ink pad over the stamp I wipe of random parts with a baby wipe.

On the sides and top panel I used a mini stencil and fired brick distress ink to create the patterning.

I also die-cut a large heart from left overs that I keep in a box - they come in so useful for pieces like this.

I cut and re-painted the stamped hearts as the red ink did not fit with the colours I had been using and put together little pieces on each side.

Thanks for stopping by.

hugs Brenda xxx

Tuesday, 10 January 2017

Single Layers

Hello Everyone! 

Today I am sharing a Tag with you using single layers of stamping and which I then made into a card.
I had taken photographs of each layer of stamping, but I am afraid the photographs were not great. The light is such at the moment here in the north that I feel as though I am living in a sepia photograph!  So I am afraid this is a step by step using the finished card.

I stamped my main feature (the feather) in Faded Jeans and Vintage Photo Distress Ink and then the egg behind using Hickory Smoke.

Stamping top and bottom in Vintage Photo. Don't worry about stamp marks as they can easily be covered at a later stage. For a bit of contrast I then stamped  in Archival Jet Black using some small stamps from Tim Holtz's Correspondence Set. 

Finally I added another longer stamp in Vintage Photo down the right hand side and blended Vintage Photo Distress Ink around the edges and some ink splatters.

To create my tag card I folded some kraft paper and aligned it in the die so that the left hand side edge was inside the cutting line.  It means the tag overhangs slightly on one side of the card, but it makes for an unusual card.

Thank you for joining me today and I hope this gives you some ideas for some single layer stamping.

Jennie x