Tuesday 2 June 2015

Altered Coffee Tins

Hi everyone, Nikki here from Addicted to Art. Those that know me will know I am a bit of a coffee addict and my favourite coffee comes in tins which are great to alter – so I thought I would share one with you today.
For these tins I started by taking some matt medium (or glue and seal or mod podge) and carefully adding a sheet of kitchen roll around my can. I like that this instantly creates a textured surface. Once dry I added a coat of gesso. Again when dry I took some texture paste and Tim Holtz’s schoolhouse stencil and added randomly around my tin. Applying on a curved surface is a little difficult but ok if done in small sections.
Once dry I added various blues and green paints – from the Paper Artsy and Tim Holtz range – until I was happy with my colours.
At this stage I gave the tin a coat of matt medium to seal my work to date.
I decided to add some butterflies so quickly applied some paint to white card. Once dry I cut and embossed with Tim Holtz Butterfly Duo Bigz die and embossing folder. I dry brushed blue paint across the surface to highlight the texture and then sealed my butterflies with matt medium. This also made them a little stronger for placing on my tin. Some pearls and big chat stickers were also prepared using the same colour paint.
I then assembled everything onto my tin and added some remnant rubs and the big chat stickers before a final layer of matt medium to seal.


 
 I made another one while I was at it – slightly different techniques – more texture and stamping on tissue paper..


Thanks for visiting us today – I am off for a coffee.
Nikki

6 comments:

  1. Those are both wonderful Nikki, never would have thought to start with a layer of kitchen roll, what a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What brilliant alterations, the finished results are just brilliant!! Love the gorgeous colours and textures you have achieved Nikki!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fabulous altered tins Nikki - such a great idea to use the kitchen roll x

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful transformations Nikki! Love the colours and that big wonderful butterfly! The paper towel idea is just brilliant, what a great way to add texture! hugs :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome work - and i love the idea of using the kitchen roll! Fabulous xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Brilliant! I love your idea to use a paper towel to add texture! I adore your beautiful butterflies! Your stamping is wonderful on the blue altered can, and you can carry that technique to the texture paste. I use Kleenex tissue (one ply), stencil/paste on it, and when dry, it molds beautifully to a curved or irregular surface. Well done, my friend!

    ReplyDelete